EKSTRAK DELIMA (Punka granatum)-Delima merupakan tanaman yang popular di kalangan masyarakat Cina. Di antara khasiatnya ia mampu mencegah penyakit kencing manis, mencuci perut, membunuh cacing dan meredakan cirit-birit. Ekstrak delima mengandungi kandungan antioksida yang tinggi, phenol, vitamin C dan folid asid. Sebiji delima mampu menyumbangkan 40% vitamin C yang diperlukan oleh orang dewasa.
The Power of the Pomegranate: The 9 Health Benefits of this Wonder Fruit, and How to Eat Them
For centuries, pomegranates have been regarded as a treasure among fruits. In ancient times, the Babylonians would chew the seeds before battle, believing it would make them invincible. And the ancient Egyptians were buried with pomegranates.
In modern times, the pomegranate is a popular addition to Middle Eastern, Indian and Iranian cuisines. In the United States, this “jewel of winter” as it’s sometimes referred to has become widely marketed as a powerful health juice in the last couple of years.
Only the seeds of this heart-healthy fruit are edible.
And increasing numbers of studies are confirming what it appears many cultures have known for some time: pomegranates are indeed a wonder fruit. If you don’t regularly eat pomegranates or drink their juice, here are nine reasons why you may want to start.
1. Rich in Disease-Fighting Antioxidants
Pomegranate juice may contain close to three times the antioxidants as green tea or red wine. Antioxidants fight against free radicals — unstable molecules that can damage DNA and cell membranes. This cellular damage has been linked to all kinds of diseases including cancer.
2. Protect Your Heart
A study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that pomegranate juice combats hardening of the arteries and related diseases like heart attacks and strokes. It seems to limit the genetic tendency toward hardening of the arteries.
“The protective effects of pomegranate juice were higher than previously assumed,” said Claudio Napoli, the study’s author and a professor of medicine and clinical pathology at the University of Naples, Italy.
Another study in the September 16 issue of the Journal of Cardiology found that after patients with coronary heart disease (CHD) drank pomegranate juice every day for three months:
- Blood flow to the heart improved by about 17 percent in the pomegranate group.
- Blood flow declined by 18 percent in the placebo group.
“In conclusion, daily consumption of pomegranate juice may improve stress-induced myocardial ischemia in patients who have CHD,” researchers said.
3. Fight Osteoarthritis
Pomegranate extract may be useful in fighting osteoarthritis, according to a study at Case Western Reserve University, published in The Journal of Nutrition. In lab tests, the extract:
- Cut levels of an inflammatory chemical called interleukin-1b (IL-1b).
- Stopped enzymes that erode cartilage.
Researchers said their findings “indicate the pomegranate fruit extract or compounds derived from it may inhibit cartilage degradation in osteoarthritis and may also be a useful nutritive supplement for maintaining joint integrity and function.”
4. Keep Prostate Cancer From Returning
A study found that pomegranate juice may help fight the return of prostate cancer among men who have had surgery or radiation for the disease. In fact, among 48 such men who drank 8 ounces of pomegranate juice each day until their prostate cancer progressed:
- The juice significantly lengthened the time it took for the men’s average PSA levels (a gauge of prostate cancer progression) to double.
- None of the men developed cancer that spread beyond the prostate during the study.
“Pomegranate juice contains antioxidant chemicals that may have cancer-preventing benefits,” the researchers said.
5. Help Lower Bad Cholesterol
Antioxidants in pomegranates have been found to reduce the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol in mice, according to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
6. Lower Blood Pressure
A study also found that pomegranates help lower blood pressure among people with hypertension.
7. Get Your Nutrients
One pomegranate has about 40 percent of the recommended daily vitamin C requirement for adults, along with folic acid, fiber, potassium, niacin and vitamins A and E.
8. Protection for Newborns
A study published in Pediatric Research found that drinking pomegranate juice during pregnancy helped protect newborns’ brains during traumatic births.
9. Fight Breast Cancer
Israeli researchers found that pomegranate seed oil causes breast cancer cells to self-destruct, while leaving healthy cells unharmed.
11 Health Benefits of Pomegranate Juice
Pomegranate juice has become popular in the past few years, but does it really live up to the hype? It looks like it.
Several recent studies have shown significant potential health benefits from drinking pomegranate juice. Here are eleven:
Fights Breast Cancer
Studies in Israel show that pomegranate juice destroys breast cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone. It may also prevent breast cancer cells from forming.
Lung Cancer Prevention
Studies in mice show that pomegranate juice may inhibit the development of lung cancer.
Slows Prostate Cancer
It slowed the growth of prostate cancer in mice.
Keeps PSA Levels Stable
In a study of 50 men who had undergone treatment for prostate cancer, 8 ounces of pomegranate juice per day kept PSA levels stable, reducing the need for further treatment such as chemotherapy or hormone therapy.
Protects the Neonatal Brain
Studies show that maternal consumption of pomegranate juice may protect the neonatal brain from damage after injury.
Prevention of Osteoarthritis
Several studies indicate that pomegranate juice may prevent cartilage deterioration.
Protects the Arteries
It prevents plaque from building up in the arteries and may reverse previous plaque buildup.
Alzheimer’s Disease Prevention
It may prevent and slow Alzheimer’s disease. In one study, mice bred to develop Alzheimer’s disease were given pomegranate juice. They accumulated significantly less amyloid plaque than control mice and they performed mental tasks better.
It lowers LDL (bad cholesterol) and raises HDL (good cholesterol).
Lowers Blood Pressure
One study showed that drinking 1.7 ounces of pomegranate juice per day lowered systolic blood pressure by as much as 5 percent.
Research suggests that drinking pomegranate juice may be a natural way to prevent dental plaque.
Countless studies have shown the seemingly countless benefits of fruits for a person’s health. The U.S. Government recommends that people get several servings of fruits every day. Of all the fruits available in the market today, one fruit is at its height of popularity because of its legendary Greek mythology association and its exoticism-the pomegranate fruit.
Considered as one of the earliest fruits that have been cultivated along with grapes, figs, olives, and dates somewhere between 4000 B. C. E and 3000 B. C. E., pomegranate continued to be an emblem of fertility, rebirth, and health.
Dubbed as a “miracle fruit” by some fans, pomegranate has earned its popularity because it is thought to possibly help support the body’s natural defenses against Alzheimer’s disease, various cancers, coronary and heart diseases, arthritis and many ailments an aging person experiences. Because of its so -called anti-aging possibilities, pomegranate has had several food and beverage variations from juices, ice creams, dishes, and even in water that come in bottles.
Why is pomegranate good for you?
This handsome fruit is quite popular for its deep and purple-colored juice that is packed with lots of antioxidants that may help in maintaining a smooth and wrinkle free skin. But, aside from the possibility of helping people to maintain youthful and glowing skin by keeping the blood platelets together, there are so many health benefits of pomegranate to people of all ages. While no health claims are made regarding pomegranate whatsoever, here are some of the remedies and uses that some people hope pomegranate can help with.
1. It may help reduce the risk of having a heart disease, heart attacks, and strokes. Studies show that pomegranate juice daily may help support the normal blood flow to the heart. Because of its antioxidant properties, pomegranate keeps bad cholesterol from forming, and thus, may help keep the arteries clear of clots.
2. It may help support the body’s normal defense in the prevention of certain cancers. Since pomegranates has very high levels of antioxidant called “flavenoids” that is thought to be effective in counteracting various cancer-causing radicals, more and more experts recommend this fruit as a possible part of a healthy diet. Because of flavenoids, many people are consuming pomegranate because it is believed to help support their good health.
3. It may help reduce the risks for illnesses such as atherosclerosis, osteoarthritis, and diabetes. Because of the properties of pomegranate, conditions that are known to cause the thickening and hardening of arterial walls and damage in cartilage and joints are hoped to be helped by this fruit. Studies are needed of course to get test results. No claims are made as to what the pomegranate may or may not help.
4. It is a rich source of various vitamins. Pomegranate is a good, natural source of vitamins A, C and E as well as folic acid.
5. It is rumored to help reduce the possibility of having premature babies. Pomegranate juice and extract is thought by some people to help expectant mothers avoid having low birth weight babies.
6. Some users claim it is beneficial for relieving minor illnesses such as core throat.
7. Other users believe it might reduce the possibility of developing Alzheimer’s disease among older people.
8. It is prized in some countries for the belief that it might help in achieving and maintaining a clear skin with youthful glow, and it is believed to help soothe skin inflammation.
9. The antioxidants are thought to help support the immune system.
10. It may help support healthy blood flow because of its iron properties. Pomegranate supports the blood by supplying it with iron, thus may help prevent anemia symptoms that include exhaustion, dizziness, weakness, and hear loss.
11. Aside from having lots of anti-oxidants, pomegranate also might have some anti-viral properties.
12. Pomegranate juice and extract is thought by some women to help in overcoming the feeling of general malaise during menopause.
While no medical claims can be made for pomegranate, the juice is growing in popularity every day as more and more people try it and benefit from it.
Monica Nelson writes about health topics, about women’s health issues, and about specific topics such as health benefits of pomegranate juice and how to save money on vitamins with swansons vitamins coupons. These health articles are provided as a helpful news service and are not to be considered medical advice. Always talk to your doctor about health issues such as pregnancy.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Monica_Nelson